Wednesday 27 June 2012

Finding a wife, Abraham's model


FINDING A WIFE. Abrahams Model

Choosing a wife is one of the most important decision a young man can make in life. Choosing a companion to share the rest of your life with. One that will be help meet. One that would share the heights of your joy and support you no matter what. 
With divorce rate approaching 50% even in the church, has the Bible given us a model and how to approach this all important issue? To find a wife should not be mere wishes.
For Isaac, who was the covenant child of Abraham. God's mandate will be fulfilled through this man. It is imperative that he finds a wife that will not thwart the plan of God. 

1. It is a very important decision. 
Here we saw Abraham sending his the eldest servant on the mission to find Isaac a wife. He also made him swear by the Lord. 
                And Abraham said unto his eldest servant of his house, that ruled over all that he had, Put, I pray thee, thy hand under my thigh: And I will make thee swear by the Lord, the God of heaven, and the God of the earth, that thou shalt not take a wife unto my son of the daughters of the Canaanites, among whom I dwell: But thou shalt go unto my country, and to my kindred, and take a wife unto my son Isaac. (Genesis 24:2-4 KJV)

2. Faith born out of relationship with God.
The Lord God of heaven, which took me from my father's house, and from the land of my kindred, and which spake unto me, and that sware unto me, saying, Unto thy seed will I give this land; he shall send his angel before thee, and thou shalt take a wife unto my son from thence. (Genesis 24:7 KJV)
The above is akin to what David said when he was facing Goliath in battle, that the Lord who delivered the bear and the lion into his hands will deliver Goliath into his hands as well. As believers, recalling the deeds God accomplished help strengthen our faith so we can reach out to receive more. For the people that only want to know God's will when they want a wife, it may be a challenge. Having proved God in other ways in the past in other choices in life makes this process easier. That is why God's children are encouraged to seek him and allow the Lord to lead them in other areas of life.

3. Prayer
The eldest servant knew of God's hand upon his master. He is not a stranger to the promises of God for Abraham. He was wise. He provided for the journey. Experienced as well. He could have depended on his wisdom, experience and his masters wealth but he chose to pray to God for guidance. God must have caused Rebekah to decide to fetch water at that time, unaccompanied by friends and kept other confounders away. How much more this day and age. We need God's help in this all important choice. Prayer moves the hand that rules the world.

4. Standard.
And I will make thee swear by the Lord, the God of heaven, and the God of the earth, that thou shalt not take a wife unto my son of the daughters of the Canaanites, among whom I dwell: But thou shalt go unto my country, and to my kindred, and take a wife unto my son Isaac. And the servant said unto him, Peradventure the woman will not be willing to follow me unto this land: must I needs bring thy son again unto the land from whence thou camest? (Genesis 24:3-5 KJV)
Here we see Abraham did not want Isaac to marry the Canaanites. They did not believe in God. When Paul said, be not unequally yoked together with unbelievers, it was not a new doctrine then. The person you marry many times will determine how you end up in life. Marrying an unbeliever is like having the devil for a father-in-law. Secondly, Abraham made it clear that Isaac was not to return to the land he came from. Getting a wife or not, the top priority is not to go back to where God had delivered you from: captivity, sin,bondage...
Wisdom cries aloud, crying in the streets...


No comments:

Post a Comment